Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Unemployment Extension July 14, 2010 Update

July 14, 2010 by · 140 Comments

Unemployment Extension July 14, 2010 Update - Millions of unemployed Americans have been clamoring for a tier 5 unemployment extension ever since their unemployment benefits expired months ago. However, until now, July 14, 2010, no unemployment bill has been passed yet. Republicans are not in favor because they claim that the $34 billion costs associated in passing it would just add to the government’s enormous budget deficit. Technically speaking, the bill would need a majority of 60 votes in the Senate to pass.

The most urgent issue right now in the passage of this unemployment extension bill is how fast an interim senator could get appointed that would replace the late Senator Robert Byrd from West Virginia. As of the latest update, Governor Manchin could get to appoint an interim replacement by Friday at 5 p.m. ET or by Sunday the latest.

The next most important issue lies from the hands of  Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid on when the Senate adjourns for the week, or when they work through the weekend to file for cloture on the motion to proceed to the unemployment bill.  When the cloture motion is already“ripe” which is technically one hour after the Senate convenes on the second day after it was filed, the Senate will now need to gather votes on whether or not to continue with the debate despite Republican opposition.

We cannot do anything about it but to wait. It will all depend on these politicians on how fast will they act to pass this unemployment bill. Let’s just hope that they will prioritize it since this is one of the most important issues affecting millions of unemployed Americans.

Comments

140 Responses to “Unemployment Extension July 14, 2010 Update”
  1. Rod says:

You know Mr. and Mrs. politicians we are not paying our bills, feed our families and unable to find a job. We are americans, and we need some action in the senate. OK you had your break while some unemployed were not able to eat, and you keep putting off the need of the people that voted you into office. You will go to work today, laugh, and enjoy your JOB and go to lunch that I know will last more that an hour, while unemployed are not working and will have to struggle to have a lunch. When you were born, were you ever taught to help your neighbor? What values did your parents teach you when you grew up. Becoming a politician takes away your humanity in the view of some people. Are you one of the politicians that looks at starving people around the world and feel sad. Well come out in the private sector here in the US, and see it.

I watch news cast and news caster and it makes me sick to know that they can have so much compassion for people that have been mistreated in other news stories, but when it comes to unemployed, with children that are not getting fed, and unable to pay their bills, they just sweep it under the rug. America we should do the news programs the same way we are doing the politicans, and not watch their programs unless they give unemployment updates. I noticed that once the senate did not vote in the unemployment extention benefits, the news casters have not been saying anything about the unemployed. Have they given up on us? I do not see anything more important in the world than taking care of our own. News programs only want to talk about things that are bashing people, or make America feel bad.

What has happen to our country? Even though we are having tought times at my house, if my neighbor needs help, he knows he can call on me for help. That is what America used to be about, but now I am loosing faith. When it comes time for voting in the next election, I am supporting those who help me, because they care.

We waited until congress came back to work so we could get some relief, but now it seems to being put off each and every day. We were told that we would have some action by the end of the week, but now we are told that their may not be a replacement for Byrd until maybe Sunday, so that means maybe no action until next week. where is the relief, we need action NOW.

• tata says:

What if all Americans people are sick of politics, nobody vote for anything? That’s the only power we have against the multimillionaire senator.

• Ed says:

Very well said Rod!

• Jose says:

Not voting is how we got in this mess to begin with. We are a people ruled by the voting minority.

BTW: I had a bean burrito for dinner last night. :)

• Lauren says:

Rod- Very well stated… I agree with everything you said.. I understand the frustrations that we are all having and I myself ran out of unemployment over a month ago.. I am struggling to pay my rent and I just received a shut off notice for my electric and gas. I have never in my life felt that my own country would turn it’s back on me and millions of other U.S. citizens in this time of need. I am outraged by the fact that the Senate took a holiday break when our economy is struggling to keep above water. I am one of millions right now who don’t have any one or any thing they can rely on for help. I am scared and confused and I am afraid of losing my home. So all I have to say to our Senate is get off you A** and do something. Us unemployed workers who first off didn’t get even the four tiers of extensions are struggling to make ends meet. We take that check and put it right back in the economy of whatever state we live in.. I am not out vacationing or blowing money I am paying my bills, putting gas in my car and food on my table. I am trying to help my economy as best as I can why the F**k can’t you. They say oh there is 9,000 more jobs since last year well not in my profession and so I spend countless hours and days roaming the streets wasting my gas to try to find even a part-time job and yet still no luck. Days, Months and almost a year now unemployed and I still can’t even get a job at a local fast food chain; why? oh because I am “over qualified” Really I just want to work. So seriously we have several Americans out there who have gotten every bit of that 4 tier EUC extension and they are looking for a fifth which is understandable why not? they can’t find work either. I am just looking for my first tier of extensions! I find this whole thing ridiculous and really do believe that voting is very important when it comes to our country and believe you me I will remember this come November.

• Anne says:

I don’t understand WHY the millions of people who lost unemployment don’t get together and stage a HUGE protest. I bet it would get congress moving very fast. Americans need to realize that WE still hold the power. Strength in numbers! PROTEST,PROTEST,PROTEST! Wake up America!

2. Nicole says:

You have got to be F$%^&*% kidding me!!!!! The Senate/Congress and even the President.Dont seem to care or even worry about the millions of American People who are jobless, and their unemployment benefits have stopped.I cant not understand this we are the RICHEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!!!!!! And these Dick Head Politicians cant pass a bill to help the many unemployed American people.But,they can come up with a solutions to bail out Wall Street,Auto Industry, and the Banks.But,not the American People!!!!!!!! Unbeleivable!!!!!!! We(I) have not received a check in a month…I am behind in rent due to these Heartless/Senseless Bastards….Amongst other bills..I didnt ask to be unemployed this was beyond MY CONTROL…. Well,these Bastards dont have to worry I will not exercise my Right To Vote in November,or any Polling after that.This is SAD!!!!!!! My Ancestors Bled,Sweat,and Tears for me to have the right to Vote and I will not be Exercising that right ANYMORE!!!!!!!! GOD BLESS US ALL!!!!!! BECAUSE THESE BASTARDS DONT CARE!!!!!!

• Latoya says:

I agree with you they act like we don’t have a life of our own we need to survive just like they do!!! Now put them in our shoes for a day and they would crack within the next hour!!! So they need to stop playing around with there so called vacation an just pass the bill so people can move on with there lives!!! People got bills just like they do, people have children just like they do, and people have feelings and hearts just like they do, so all Im saying is pass the bill and stop trying to be little everybody that’s on the extensions because we do use it for good purposes like school, healthcare, groceries, and not to mention sometimes charity and church!!! Ya’ll need to use ya”ll powers for something useful like passing the unemployment bill and fixing that oil leak instead of picking at people that you put in a damn recession cause you damn politicians won’t pass this damn billll!!!!!!!

• scott in ky says:

You must vote in November……for a Democrat. The piece of shit Republicans are the ones not voting for this bill…..look it up!!!

3. Angry says:

What the hell is the hold up? Do you all have dementia? Cause you all seem to have forgotten the American people. Really? How hard is it? YES or NO. I’m sorry this is bullshit my husband and I have worked all our lives, my husband has never collected a dime from the government he has paid his dues and then some. He has been sick for the last 5yrs three surgeries barely can walk but he has to work because I can’t find a job. We depend on you to help the American people when in need it but I guess sending money to other countries and bailing out all the banks THAT by the way are not loaning, You would think if you are going to give them billions!! There would be a stipulation that they have to loan X amount of dollars instead they sit on it. If you make all these CEO’s that received bonuses pay it back you would have the money to extend the unemployment. I have two kids one unemployed and one forced to move out of state because he couldn’t find a job. Hope all of you get to go home every night and see your kids… (Think of us when you do) Our families are being forced apart…. It breaks my heart!!! In this new health care reform bill, DOES IT HAVE A CURE FOR A BROKEN HEART????????????

4. Kristy Galati says:

They need to pass this unemployment extension. There are millions of Americans that are asking the government for help and they are denying them!! We all pay our taxes and we deserve to be helped! It’s kind of funny how the Senate can go on vacation while Americans are becoming homeless and losing everything!!

• RATTLER says:

YOU SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST SIT AROUND WITH YOUR THUMB UP YOU A?? USING THE TAX PAYERS MONEY TO GO ON YOUR FANCY VACATIONS AND VOTE ON NOTHING…..I AM SURE YOU WILL PASS THE BILL ON JULY 30TH FOR NATIONAL DANCE DAY THAT, SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE IS BRINGING IN FRONT OF YOU……THIS WILL LET YOU HAVE ANOTHER VACATION…..VOTE DUMB A??!!!!!!

5. Grim reaper says:

As the 99ers continue to lose Everything and try to survive, we are taking names! To the congress and senators; turn your back on us and we will turn our backs on you in November! Not only us, but our families, our friends, and others who watch us SUFFER day by day will not vote for you! TIER 5 TO SURVIVE, is not just a motto, it is just what it says it is. We can’t pay bills anymore, many of us have been diminished to utter poverty. This is real……..Media needs to do documentaries on families who have lost their unemployment benefits and who are now living on the streets for the first time. Our government needs to see this with their own eyes how devestating this is before they will be compelled to do something about it.

• scott says:

I noticed the Headline on this page about a Tier 5 relating to the unemployment extension bill. There is no tier 5 in this extension, There is not even a thought of a tier 5, its just an extension of tiers 1-4 thats all!!! My Senator from Michigan has told me this. Even if the thought comes up in congress it won’t even be until at least september/October, and maybe never!! I ran out of benefits about April I’m a 99er myself. There are still no jobs, and I’m even talking $8.00 an hour general labor positions, and the 1 or 2 I saw has about a million requirements. Not having a car they won’t even think of hiring me, they say don’t even waste time filling out an app. The Senate are not even thinking of a Tier 5, mostly with all the trouble their having with this extension. I have been tracking this very close and the News never gets it right. we’ve been forgotten!!

6. Arthur Howard says:

Senator Jon Kly is a real American hero.He knows how to tell it like it really is from the Republican point of view.They should all be like him in the Senate then happy day’s would be here once more!That is for the self interest groups,wealthy elite,and big corporations ofcourse.Don’t blame the Democrats on this blunder the Republicans don’t give a damn about any of you unless you are really rich!

• QT62 says:

Don’t be so quick to blame Republicans. Obama and his Chicago thugs got us into the mess we’re in; trillions of dollars in debt – spend, spend, spend and then make Americans pay for it. Bush did his share of spending but Obama has tripled the amount in only 1 1/2 years. Change?? Yeah, from bad to worse. Creation of jobs is what we need! That’s not going to happen if the Govt. keeps taxing Employers to death forcing them to lay off and move their businesses elsewhere. Profitable businesses promote the hiring of more employees. Everyone is so concerned about the rich getting rich, well it’s the rich who create jobs for the rest of us. I’ve been unemployed for over 1 1/2 years and haven’t been able to find a job. I Can’t wait ’til November 2010 and then 2012! Vote these losers out and take our country back!

7. tata says:

government’s enormous budget deficit?

34 billions drive them crazy? How much did they bail out the greedy bankers on Walstreet, stupid Auto Industry CEOs? Can we cut off GW Bush’s pension? He doesn’t deserve it.

8. Mike says:

What a disgrace. I feel sorry for the people on unemployment as I am on uenployment which will run at at the end of August and they better have a solution, but I have to say I really don’t feel sorry for the american people becuase you people picked Osama Bin Obama the worst president in american history. Harry Reid and Palosi OMG I can’t even look at those people, they have no idea what they are doing. Everything is messed up in Washington. And I am pissed that they bailed out the banks, wall street. Who are the american people a peice of meat. It sickens me that they can’t get along an pass a bill to help thier own people, but sure they can help haiti and other countries but not the american people who are being thrown out on the street becuase they can’t pay thier rent or mortgage. WHAT A DISGRACE!

• Gilbert says:

Iguess Your Hero Is gwbush The Greates President on Mars.

• Mike says:

Better then Osama thats for sure. Atleast GW cared! All you see Osama doing is going to basketball games and dinning with celebs. Come on Americans.

• Vivienne says:

President Obama has approved the extension for unemployment, he is not the one holding this up. I too an unemployed and anxiously waiting for the House to decompress from thier “extended” holiday and pass this already.

Let’s be reasonable, the President is not the problem here. Everyone is pointing the finger at the current Administration and blaming President Obama if he spends a penny, Oh my God, the penny spent will spent will Bankrupt America.
      The Country’s spending was already out of control when he was sworn in. When Clinton left office, for the first time in a long while, we were actually sitting kinda pretty and smelling sweet, when GW left office, America was covered in crap and smelling like shit! There was no way this could be an easy or quick financial fix. And if I remember correctly, he did say this, repeatedly during his campaign.

Bush initiated all of the bail outs before he left office, President Obama just tried the finish what had already been set in motion. Let’s think about this for a minute. The Auto Industry, if the Industry folded, imagine the increased % of new unemployment claims, I would think the decision for any extensions would be
      even greater financial hardship making approvals more exhausting.

Oh yeah,the Mortgage fiasco? Another problem that began with the Bush Administration. OOPS, I’m sorry, short term memories.

I don’t want to pay people to just sit around and do nothing. I’ve been actively seeking employment for the past year. Since my unemployment has been placed on hold, I’ve been living off my 401k. The Republicans really need to look at this as money not coming out of thier pockets, which is obviously hard for them to do.

And for the record – I am still amazed at the ignorance of people calling the President Osama – REALLY!
      That is one of the most IDIOTIC comments an “American” can make.

BTY -I am also an Republican

• Smarter Than You says:

@ MIKE-ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS! OUR PRESIDENT DOES NOT CONTROL THE US SENATE DUMB ASS! DO YOUR RESEARCH! ITS THE REPUBLICANS IN OFFICE THAT ARE HOLDING UP UNEMPLOYMENT! WHETHER HE CARED OR NOT DOES NOT CHANGE HOW THE REPUBLICANS IN POWER FEEL YOU DISRESPECTFUL DUMMY! OBVIOUSLY YOU WERE SLEEP THE LAST 8 YEARS BUSH WAS IN OFFICE BECAUSE HE NEVER CARED. THATS WHY THOSE POOR PEOPLE IN NEW ORLEANS SAT ON THERE ROOFS FOR DAYS WITHOUT HELP. EVEN THE REPUBLICANS HATE BUSH! I CANT BELIEVE YOU FIXED YOUR MOUTH TO MAKE SUCH A STUPID STATEMENT! SO REDICULOUS! LET ME GIVE YOU SOME WELL NEEDED KNOWLEDGE, SO NET TIME YOU CAN THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK…. CURRENTLY THE SENATE HAS 60 HEARTLESS REPUBLICANS AND 59 DEMOCRATS. THE REPUBLICANS HAVE THE MAJORITY VOTE WHICH IS ALWAYS BAD WHEN IT COMES TO AMERICANS NEEDING HELP. BY THE WAY, WE ALL HAVE HATERS BUT IT DON’T STOP NOTHING! CHECK THE STATS, GW BUSH WAS THE MOST HATED PRESIDENT! THIS WEBSITE WAS NOT CREATED FOR YOU TO GIVE YOUR USELESS OPINION ABOUT POLITICS, OF ALL NATURE. IT WAS DESIGNED TO KEEP THE UNEMPLOYED INFORMED AND LET THE UNEMPLOYED SPEAK OUT ABOUT HOW ITS AFFECTING THERE LIVES! NOT TO ADVERTISE POINTLESS VIEWS ON LIFE ITS SELF! IF BUSH WAS IN OFFICE THE UNEMPLOYMENT EXTENSION BILL WOULDN’T BE PASSED ANY QUICKER SEEING HOW BUSH IS A VERY WEALTHY REPUBLICAN HIMSELF! YOUR PROBABLY HIS COUSIN! @BUSH- STOP LETTING YOUR IGNORANT FAMILY MEMBERS BAD MOUTH OUR NEW PRESIDENT! WE GAVE YOU 8 IN OFFICE. WHETHER WE LIKED YOU OR NOT YOUR TIME WAS UP! SEEING HOW YOU DAMN THERE DESTROYED OUR COUNTRY IN 8 YEARS, OBAMA SHOULD GET AT LEAST 4 TO FIX THE MESS YOU MADE!

• Karen Windsor says:

Mr. Bush (you mean the village idiot?) was in your opinion the greatest president? Obama at least shows grace and intelligence. God bless him!!!

• Really? says:

Mike come on you can’t be that ignorant. Obama has been good for our country and I voted for GW Bush and I regret ever helping that man into office.. I do believe in the right to free speech and the right to from your own opinion but lets try to leave the ignorance out. Our country is in a state of emergency right now and Obama is the only one who seems to give a shit. Senate and House are holding us back while MILLIONS of U.S. CITIZENS go with out shelter, food and even clothing. We are all struggling and some of us don’t have our benefits anymore. I lost my in the beginning of June I was one of the FIRST to lose my EUC Benefits. What makes me angry is that I didn’t even get my tiers like most I have been unemployed for almost a year and just like everyone else I am struggling to find work and I am struggling right now on losing my home. So lets try as a country who outta stick together in our times of needs and pass this bill but don’t you dare blame our president he is BACKING US UP!!

9. Mike says:

Now we have to wait till they fill Byrd seat before they get the 60 votes. Don’t worry it will pass but I feel for the people that thier unemployment ran out.

• Elizabeth Princeton III says:

This is unbelievable that we can help out all the Banks, Financial Institutions, Wall Street, Auto Industry but not the lowly Americans who have slaved all their lives to make this the great country that it is. Not passing the unemployment just shows us Americans how we really rate along the scale of the Government of the Us of America. I am in disbelief, the Government got us in this predicament by letting the Financial Instiutions and Wall Street take us all down…..

• Karen Windsor says:

Yeah and the bank’s CEO’s are still getting their $48 million bonuses. Wow – one of their bonuses could fund the unemployed for over a year. Greedy or what?

10. I am writing in regards to the unemployment extention, this REALLY NEEDS PASSED AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, I RESIDE IN THE STATE OF FLORIDA AND SEE PEOPLE ALL OVER MY COUNTY SLEEPING ON THE STREETS OR UNDER BRIDGES, PEOPLE CANNOT EVEN AFFORD TO FEED THEIR FAMILIES, OR TO PUT GAS IN THEIR CAR TO LOOK FOR JOBS, WE TAKE CARE AND HELP OTHER COUNTRIES, WHICH IS GREAT HELP HELP HELP HELP THE AMERICAN PEOPLE, WE LIVE IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, AND PEOPLE ARE ABOUT TO LOOSE THIER HOMES, HAVE THEIR LIGHTS TURNED OFF, AND I NEED TO BUY MY SON SOME SCHOOL CLOTHES FOR SCHHOL WHICH I DO NOT HAVE, COME ON GUYS REALIZE THIS IMPORTANCE TO PASS THIS EXTENSION, IF THIS IS THE FINAL ONE SO BE IT, IT WILL AT LEAST GIVE US MONEY TO GET BY FOR FOOD AND EVEN TOILET PAPER, THAT IS HOW BAD IT IS, SENATORS WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOU WERE NOT GETTING PAID, WHAT WOULD YOU DO, WE ARE NOT LAZY PEOPLE WE ARE EDUCATED, AND I HAVE APPLIED FOR WELL OVER 400 JOBS, WITH NO AVAIL, GET THIS LAW PASSED AND SHOW US THAT YOU ARE HUMAN BEING AS WELL AS POLITICIANS. DO NOT LET US DOWN, AS YOU WILL BE LETTING YOUR COUNTRY AND ALL OF TH AMERICAN PEOPLE DOWN. THINK LONG AND HARD, I DO NOT SLEEP, I TRY TO FIGURE OUT WAYS TO BUY FOOS, I AN INA CONSTANT PANIC, I CRY ALL THE TIME, PLEASE WE ALL NEED YOU HELP THIS IS A DO OR DIE SITUATION, DO YOU ALL WANY US ON THE STREEST, PASS THIS EXTENSION.

• Misty M. says:

I also live in Florida & unemployment is just as bad as it was 2 years ago. Add to that the oil that is frightening tourists away & cutting jobs in that industry also. I have looked & looked for a job, but have not even gotten a response. I am more than willing to work, but there are not enough jobs for all the people seeking employment.

11. eren says:

Reid needs to grow some balls and just call for an up or down vote to pass the bill that was passed by the House. We unemployed cannot afford to wait another week while Manchin appoints someone as Senator. This is the fault of BOTH parties. They need to work out a compromise right now that will benefit US. It really irritates me that we are now hearing they need to pass this war bill or our troops will not get paid. Well, I feel for our troops..they should not be fighting either of these wars, but if Congress can find money for the wars and to pay the troops there is NO REASON THE UNEMPLOYED SHOULD NOT GET OUR MONEY THIS WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!

12. RATTLER says:

YEA! SENATOR BYRD THE OLD FART WAS HOLDING THE BILL BACK AND HE IS IN HIS GRAVE AND STILL HOLDING THE BILL BACK……THANKS TO THE GOVERNOR OF WEST VIRGINIA IS PROBABLY ON VACATION THIS WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!JUST FACE IT THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE AMERICAN PEOPLE……..YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT EVERYONE SHOULD NOT EVEN VOTE THEN THEY WOULD BE OUT OF A JOB SEE HOW THEY FEEL THEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• kimo says:

Man, you vote every day. seeing as our representatives only represent the companies who give them cash, you vote for corruption (read: lobbyitsts) when you buy from wal mart you vote for the corprate menace who keeps jobs low and ships them overseas. when you vote for wal mart and every other big buisiness, you vote in support of our rotten system. vote instead for the businesses in you community whose owners are struggling to feed their families. if you want change change the system; it assimilates every thing it touches. if you people would buy local, there would be alot less unemployment. an this bill: what the hell? Ill never use a bank again, thats for sure. and ill never vote for a republican or a democrat. i have been homeless since my unemployment ran out. i need this bill to pass, but my representatives dont care in the least. wheres my fucking bailout?

13. Paula says:

Please pass this bill as millions are starving and unable to pay needed utilities! This is a disaster. Going into piddly savings and depleating our last dollars. Please act fast as time is running out for so many. I beg you please pass this bill. Blessings!

14. Vernon Musgrove says:

This is ridiculous. Bail out the banks and CEOs and let the little man die. Its obvious that this country has forgotten its roots. If the govt would have taken the money they used to bail out wall street and given it to every working class american each would have received almost 10,000 dollars a piece. Just imagine how much that would have stimulated the economy. I am from GA and both of the senators from my state voted against the last unemployment extension. I believe anyone who would vote against an unemployment extension should be punished. kick them out of office, freeze their bank accounts, and make sure they are flat broke with no household income. Then they will know how the millions of americans on unemployment right now really feel.

Thats the problem. The solution is to stop voting for politicians. Vote for a working class hero. Vote for people who know what the dumps feel like.

15. andy says:

I apologize to ones who are actively seeking job for what I have to say.
    I don’t know the exact number, but unemployment is around 10%
    Of that, I wonder how many are really really actively seeking for work.
    Yes, I have few friends are a brother who are unemployed, but I don’t see them actively seeking.
    My brother who lived on my couch for past few month finally started looking for a job since his benefit just ran out.
    For my own sake, one individual of 90% employeed, I hope congress doesn’t extend the bill at leastuntil my brother finds a job.
    I will provide him my couch. i will feed him, lend him my car, whatever he needs as long as it takes for him to find job.
    because i can’t watch him playing video game when I come back from work.

• Bob says:

Sadly… you are uninformed. We are out here looking for work and the fact that your brother is lazy, well, your the one allowing him to sit on you couch so you are encouraging this behavior. Grow a pair and tell him if he isn’t willing to spend 4 hours a day looking for a job he can find a new place to sleep.

I average 4 hours a day on the web and send out a minimum of 5 resumes a day… it doesn’t sound like much, a little better than one an hour, but with the effort it takes to find something I am qualified to apply for, according to the data I have created, those are the numbers.

If you don’t have the balls to kick him out, take the video game controller with you to work, then he can’t spend all day playing games.

• Fe says:

Your brother is LAZY and you are enabling him to be lazy! You are entiled to your opinion, but please limit it to what you know….that opinion my apply to your brother, but it doesn’t apply to me or millions of others out here begging for interveiws for positions that we are way over qualified for just because we want to work and take of ourselves, but no one wants to hire us because we have been unemployed for an extended period of time. I was making over 50,000 before my company went under, so do you really think I choose to sit at home and collect 410 a week??????????? I use to make that in 2 days.. GET REAL!!!!

• amy horst says:

Hey hey hey dont bleam every unemployed for my self I haved been seeking for work for the last 7 months and haved put applications at least 45 min away from my home and they are still not hireing but they will say will let you put one in anmd well keeep it on file for six months So all I can say if your brother did not want to find work you should haved him do the house work to earn his keep and just get rid of they video games

16. Done@51 says:

To all of you who think not voting is the answer PLEASE VOTE!! Pay attention now and take your notes into the voting booth if need be. I’ve lost EVERYTHING except my vote. We MUST hold these republican senators accountable for their disgraceful disregard of the American people. Doesn’t matter if you are working or not, retirees or stay at home moms – THIS EFFECTS US ALL.
    God bless America!

17. luke says:

You fat ass’s go get a fucking job at mc donalds u lazy ass piece of shit, yea they bailed out the banks but you know what they payed it back plus intrest so stfu you all are prolly scum white trash using ur unemployment to gamble and do drugs u are the problem go get off ur fat ass’s and get a fucking job at a burger joint

• George Washington says:

Well spoken, ignoramus.

• Vivienne says:

What an idiot! Free Speach should be a privilege, not a right!

• joe says:

ugh all unemployed are fat lazy gambling drug addicts that need to work at mcdonalds. is that what fox news is saying nowadays? I know america isnt the brightest nation, but seriously luke be more informed. FYI: the banks are still failing and not loaning, pick up a paper once in awhile you can usually find a few lying around at your place of buiness, Mcdonalds.

• Mike says:

Yeah your the cause of the drug problem in this country and your an idiot that has nothing to say except calling americans fat and lazy idiots and drugs addicts. Please go away and have something constructive to say. People like you should be deported.

• Sherri says:

You are indeed a real uninformed individual. I can’t believe that you actually think that we unemployed enjoy living on the pittance that we receive. I’ve had to cut back on so many things and as far as getting a job THEY ARE FEW and then you are up competing with a few hundred people. Lets not talk about the money that I have to pay each month for medications that I need to take on a daily basis that just ran out yesterday and no money to get them refilled. I really want a job so I can go back to living in the way that was comfortable to me. It’s people like you that really push my anger to the limit because I did not ask to be in this position.

• jennifer says:

Luke let me tell you something I have looked for work at all of the burger joints in my town I have gone to ever place in this town and no one id hiring we have the 2nd largest number unemployed in the state of WI there are no jobs I have even been willing to wash asses and tere are none of those jobs I come from a 75k a year job and I am willing to work for min. wage please tell me were to find one!!!! And by the way I have never touched a drug in my life or gambled so do not talk about what you do not know.

• Jenny says:

It’s very true, I do spend my unemployment on drugs. I am trying to figure out which once I must eliminate now because of no income?

The high blood pressure med?
      The Parkinson’s Med?
      The Anti-seizure med?

That is only 3 of the drugs that I take because of many health issues. No more health benefits because my COBRA is done.

My 401K is gone and now will have to sell my vehicle to hopefully get a few months rent….My life insurance policy will also go.

Would love to work at a burger joint but they don’t seem to want to hire someone with a college degree and the fact that in my prior employment I made over $98K a year.

• Crystal Ann says:

How could you talk like that? You are very rude.. I’ll have you know, that not only am I trying to raise 3 children, and my husband who has health issues is out there busting his A$$ everyday to help us eat and keep a roof over our heads, and where I live, you can’t get a job unless you are very educated, which I’m doing. Where do you work? Sounds to me like you are a lazy ass piece of shit!!! You are an ASS!

• Karen Windsor says:

Luke is probably a 30 something living with and off his parents and doesn’t have enough education to live on his own. His comments should be disregarded.

• Rachel LOZANO says:

YOu are the oe that is a dumbass!!!!!!! I worked at my job or 9 years , 18/hr they replaced me for a newbie for 11/hr. You would be surprised but they wonnt hire someone at mc donalds be cause they say you wouldnt be happy making less. What do you do for a living LUKE DO you pay taxes or hmmm on welfare there is a difference for 20 yrs Ive paid in the system. Ive been going to college for the last year in a half trying to get a job. In the meantime I am now Losing my house and what next. THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK- Your IGNORANCE speaks volumes

• Jocie says:

I was an Office Manager for 10 years just to get laid off. I’ve been on numerous interviews and sent out many resumes. I have unbelievable experience, but out of the several hundred other applicants, there seems to always be someone a little better. So what did I do Luke? Tried to get a job such as a burger joint and you want to know what they told me? I have too much experience. You need to do your research before you open your mouth and insert your foot. The most ludicrous thing is you are putting an absurd stereotype on everyone. Maybe there are a few that do take advantage of the system, but the other 95% are fighting to keep everything they have. Must be nice for you to have your job at McDonalds and the shelter of your parents house.

18. Devin says:

Both sides are to blame, playing politics. It has very little to do with what they actually believe. Republicans are trying to prove a point about Democratic spending, while Democrats are using the Republicans tactics to demonize them. Republicans voted no on the democratic bill, democrats voted no on the republican bill. One side wants to use unused stimulus money, the other sides wants to “emergency fund” it. Whose right? Whose wrong? Who cares, it’s BOTH sides playing politics.

• Mike says:

Totally agree, its both sides not just the repbulicans. You nailed it right on the head.

• Agtuzar says:

He nailed nothing. Those ugly “conservatives” have only tried to derail all the good, common sense solutions that the “liberals” have proposed. Sure, both sides play politics, but its more than obvious that the repubs are the antagonists in this story. Some of you are so ignorant that it literally hurts to read your childish dribble. We’ve watched for 18 months as this gang of weirdos have tried to stall or obstruct the proposals of the current administration and then blame President Obama (and Reid, Pelosi, etc) for “playing politics”. You suckers have been falling for that trick since Clinton was in office. 70% of you idiots supported the farce that is the “War in Irag”. I have little hope for America. Its citizens are too freakin stupid. Note the terrible spelling and grammar that most of your comments contain!! If the repubs gain seats this fall, that will again prove the effectiveness of their tactic and the the dumbness of this citizenry. And, again, the world will be worse off. Americans, please shut up and vote these Confederates out of office!

• QT62 says:

The smartest comment made so far.

• Stacy says:

Well unfortunately for the Unemployment Extension it is the Republicans that are stopping this. My parents once told me when I was a child that Republicans are rich and only do for the rich and the Democrats are for the working people. I spend 4-5 hours daily looking for work online, in person and whatever means necessary and there are NO jobs and the ones that I do get calls on I hear your “Over Qualified”. This truly doesn’t help when I can’t eat sometimes or my husband has to ride his bike to work because we can’t afford to put gas in the car to get him there because his pay check ONLY pays the rent. It also doesn’t help that we have no electric and we sit in the dark night after night. IT TRULY DOESN’T MATTER WHO IS AT FAULT – JUST FIX THE PROBLEM.

• Devin says:

But everyone pointing fingers fails to realize that the DEMS voted AGAINST the republican solution, so why are ONLY repubs getting the crap for it?

19. joe says:

Im going on day 4 of no food, im already a month behind on my rent and car payments, i stopped paying car insurance on june 12th (the last check day), and of course my registration for my car is due on the 22nd of this month, my phone will be shut off tomorrow, and did i mention im starving? I am a Air Force vet, and a plumber by trade, since nobody is hiring in las vegas (litterally nobody)I have been doing one day jobs off of craigslist this past year, wich was working out okay, until the amount of unemployed plumbers grew. Now there is fierce competition on craigslist for all skilled trades. Even day labor places have had no work for months now. So now im at the point where im asking all family and friends for money or food, but everybody is in the same boat i dont know a single person with enough to spare, not even food. Ive been reading all the sad stories this past month, and its absolutely heartbreaking, its bad enough to be in my position, even worse if i had others depending on me. Im starting to see red at this point, while gov Machinn waits for his “clarification” of the laws about filling a senate seat, i cant help but feel like ive been used in this country, and these politicans need a wake up call. To all those “get a job” commenters out there, i cant wait till you get laid off, better yet fired (obviously you guys dont have people skills)so you can see what its like first hand, but dont worry i will not comment on you as rudely as you have done to us.

• Karen Windsor says:

Hang in there – I don’t have any money either. I went to the food stamp office today – you should do the same. They might even be able to give you additional help with other items. Don’t starve yourself! I worry about whats going to happen to me now that I can’t pay my debts, but if you don’t have money – what are they going to do? – throw you in jail? You would have a place to live, food to eat and they would probably put you through law school. I’ve begged and borrowed from everyone I know. I’m not going to do it anymore. I hope things get better for you.

• Stacy says:

This is just all so sad to me. I suppose if every American decided to stand up for us the Unemployed and not go to work and stop paying bills, stop buying gas and let these banks have EVERY single house and let the government stop receiving our tax dollars something would have to be done. NO TAX MONEY – NO HELPING OTHER COUNTRIES. NO TAX MONEY – NO PAYCHECKS FOR THE POLITICIANS. NO TAX MONEY – OUR GOVERNMENT WOULD SHUT DOWN…. I say it’s not going to be a major illness that causes Armageddon it’s going to be people killing people that is going to cause it and I do believe we aren’t far away!

20. arie says:

I think as Americans we need to take a strong look at whose helping the unemployed. America is quick to help all other nations and we their own people who have worked and paid taxes for years to this government can’t get expedited help when we need it. we put these politicians in office I pray we can vote some of them out.

• Jocie says:

Not only are they quick to help other countries, but they are quick to help illegal immigrants as well. It’s really quite sad when our native country cares more about the people that have snuck in, than the ones who have been rightfully living here all our lives. I know many illegal immigrants that receive all types of support such as WIC, help with school, food stamps, and all sorts of others while the American people starve and scrape for spare change and couldn’t qualify for those programs if our lives depended on it. Shame on you America…

21. Rody says:

As i type this it is with the uncertainty of how i will manage to pay my bills this month and the disgust of the job market. Its a shame that the senate cant pony up and do what needs to be done, instead they drag their feet and try to justify it by any means. They have decided to over look the fact that the current state of the economy, the debt, the jobs is all their fault. When the economy hit the bricks their was alot of finger pointing, but the truth is the government let the credit card companies the housing lenders and a few choice others get Americans in way over their head, once people could not pay and the lenders stop lending and cryed about their lose, the senate was Johnny on the spot to bail them out and say “oh my bad, should have been paying attention” but the damage was done and the economy has been declining ever since. But now its the common man, its the back bone of America the lower 80% who dose not make a fortune, now we need help wheres are life raft? The shame is a message board like this lets people know they are not the only ones and maybe thats all some people need but the harsh reality is no one but us is paying attention, the senators don’t give a damn and have proved it by taking breaks to go hang with their families for a nice holiday and looking toward a long recess in August, while we twist in the wind…. but don’t worry they will be back to coddle us and tell us how important we are come re election, I for one am sick of it, and i guess their is a feeling of relief to type this but once it posts i go back to the depression and anxiety of knowing this is not going to get better fast enough.

• Lue says:

I feel your pain, like most people who post on these types of fourms. Try and enjoy the simple things in life. Stay well informed. EMAIL/CALL EVERY SENATOR THAT IS STOPPING THIS BILL! FLOOD THEIR LINES AND INBOXES, FORCE THEM TO HEAR YOU! Take it even further: do your research on them and thier famlies and friends, flood thier lines/inboxes. Use facebook, twitter, whatever! I bet Ben Nelson of nebraska might have a different opinion if we take the issue closer to his home. Im not advocating any sort of violence here, but the time has come for us to be herd. Nobody forget Obama could have helped us awhile ago, but he chooses to be spineless like he has most of his term, ive always said i would never vote rep but obama has really dropped the ball, im thinking even Mcain would have done something by now!

22. Bob says:

I have been unemployed since August 2009 and my benefits ran out last week. I won’t lose my house and there will be food on the table so my life won’t end.

Although I could use the cash… really… I just want a job. I am bored and getting depressed looking for a job every day and not even getting called back, and I have a college degree and 20 years experience.

As I said, I want the cash and it would help my current cash flow situation but making the deficit worse isn’t the answer.

I support the Republicans that want to use existing unspent stimulus funds to pay for this but really, I know this is just a political stalling tactic. A replacement for Senator Byrd will be named this week and next week the bill will be passed.

I guess the Republicans will get a good campaign ad and we all will get our unemployment for a bit longer, just a bit delayed to keep the political wheels greased.

23. John says:

So heres the unemployed conundrum: if you make max in your state on unemployment, roughly $400 a week for every state, give or take a few dollars, break that down into an hourly wage, working 40 hours a week would be $10 an hour. This means you should not accept a job lower than $10 an hour, that means fast food or walmarts are out of the question. The problem most people are having finding work is most places are not offering much in wages these days due to the unstable economic climate, and even if they do offer a wage above what you make on unemployment its usually .50 or $1 more than your $10 an hour you get while you look for a better job. Thats the dilema, do i contiue to recieve $10 an hour and look for a job closer to the wage i had before i got laid off or do i accept $10.50hr at home depot so america will be better off? Keep in mind if the unemployed person is making max in thier state, he/she made well over that amount at thier job they got laid off from, wich usually means they have bigger bills than lets say somebody who works for min at mcdonalds.

Now it gets complex: The unemployment money suddenly stops! the US gov decides they have given out too much to the unemployed and nobody has been paid in a month, although the unemployment rate is still rising. growing anger from americans is forcing the gov to consider an extension bill. You as an unemployed american are still filing every week in hopes that the bill will pass and you will be backpayed for the month of missed unemploy checks, but theres no gurentee the bill will pass. What do you do? accept the min wage job at mcdonalds just to hear the bill passed a month later, now you are not qualified to receive your better unemployed wage, cuz youve got a job at mcDs, but hey atleast ppl wont call you names for collecting what you rightfully deserve. Or wait it out, hope for the best, to find the bill will not pass the gov doesnt care about low income american people(they never have) now your 3 or 4 months behind in bills and forced out on to the streets with the rest of the 5.5mil americans who were all banking on the same thing, now even McDs has 500 aplicants a day, Phds applying at MickyDs, so now you join a tent city and wait for the revolution.

• Karen Windsor says:

If you are fortunate enough to have anyone hire you (hopefully with at least $10 hr. and HEALTH BENEFITS) I think you should take it and hope for the best down the road. These benefits WILL NOT last forever. To put the unemployment situation into perspective – there are approx. 25 million people out of work right now (which by the figures I pulled off the internet is about 20% of the population). The govt is only counting 8 or 9 million as actually being unemployed right now. The rest of the people are (trying to remember the phrase they used) – I think it is “permanently unemployed.” Wow – the faith our leaders have in its people (that they are supposed to represent). I figured it up and IF WE COULD HAVE 300,000 JOBS ADDED EVERY MONTH – we would have the economy straightened out in approx. 2014 or 2015. I’m a 99′er – whatever that is – I think it means that I am now officially INVISIBLE. Until, of course, November rolls around. (LMEL – laughing my evil laugh….). Peace brothers and sisters – may you receive everything that you need right now to survive!!!!

24. Katie says:

If (IF) THE EXTENSION IS voted in next week, or whenever !, i wanted to make sure i was able to continue to file, my last check was Mid June. I called our JFS service in Ohio, and was TOLD, i should have been and continued to file by (TELEPHONE) as a message was sent out to all unemployed in Ohio to do this. She filed me in and gave me a confirmation code for the week 07/10/10 and said i must file again on July 26, for the weeks of July 17th & July 24th. So in short, your benefits will not be retro-active from your last benefit check until the approval of the extension (IF, there is one) if you have not been phoning it in and getting a confirmation code for the weeks since your final check. :o(

25. Katie says:

i just noticed my comment says July 15, and in my world it is July 14th and 1:50 pm

26. DPW says:

I spoke w/Senator Reid’s office, here’s what the receptionist had to say!

When I asked how Senator Reid expected those of us who have no income due to being cut off from unemployment to survive – the response was APPLY FOR STATE WELFARE!

Nice? These are the kind of people we have running our country?

Senator Reid doesn’t have his number posted but…you can reach him by contacting the Senate Operator at 202.224.3121 and asking for the office of Senator Reid.

Maybe if he hears from enough of us he’ll get his head out of his a$$!

27. sam says:

America has no jobs for the poor. Target,Walmart, Temp agencies wont hire me because I have a misdameanor Battery That happen in 2005.I was young and i made a mistake.I will keep tryin to gain employment because i like to work i like too feel like im am a part of society I like gettin tax returns but i can’t cause there’s really no jobs out there plus i got this BS hangin over my head a damn misdameanor!! I really feel like givin up sometime what can i do? I get food staMPS EVERY month and General Assistance is only 160 a month and i Have two kids.Im not askin for alot i jus wanna make between 1,500 to 2,000 on a normal job and take care of my family.

28. jimmy says:

I THINK OBAMA HAS TO QUIT NOW BEFORE SOMEONE TAKE OFF HIS SHOE AND WHACK HIM IN THE HEAD

• Agtuzar says:

Its always easy to spot the confederates. They don’t seem to know up from down, left from right. They simply deny the facts and spew continual hatred toward the object of their disapproval. I’ve never seen a President denigrated the way “you people” have treated Mr. Obama. I, too, think free speech should be a privilege.

• QT62 says:

Don’t hold your breath. He’s counting on all the illegals entering this country, who he will then give Amnesty to, to re-elect him in 2012.

Support Arizona!!!!!

29. SARGE says:

NOVEMBER IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER. WE WILL REMEMBER YOU SLOW MOVING BASTARDS WHEN IT’S TIME FOR US TO VOTE. IT’S TIME WE GET RID OF THESE PATHETIC SOB’S AND TRY SOMEONE NEW. HEY IF IT DOSEN’T WORK OUT, WE CAN GET RID OF THERE ASSES AND ELECT SOMEONE DIFFERENT. MAYBE ONE DAY THEY WILL GET THE MESSAGE. KET’S SEE HOW THEY LIKE BEING OUT OF A JOB.
    LET’S GO GET EM AMERICA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30. Paula says:

Peace and love to all here who are suffering with no funds. Please pass this bill for the sake of humanity. The children need to eat, and the people need to eat and provide. This is a true disaster for so many. We are all a sliver away from being homeless and on the street. Blessings to all here who are suffering, my prayers are with you all.

31. John says:

just herd: No discussion about the extension today, but they are promising to talk about it come July 19th when bryds seat will presumabley be temp filled. Reid is saying they will vote on it by next week and they should have the votes to pass it, but dont get your hopes to high, if it doesnt pass next week they wont take another stab at it until they get back from thier MONTH long vacation scheduled to start Aug 9th. How rediculous, almost makes me wanna join al qaeda.

• April says:

What? Oh my god. if it doesn’t pass Monday the president better step in and make it happen. I cannot wait another month as I’m sure many others can’t. I will be homeless. Whatever the reason for waiting that long to vote again has to be utter bs. Our bills won’t wait !!!!!! People we need to take real action NOW. This is a travesty. Voting on independents isn’t the answer. whoever goes to washington becomes a pawn. They do as they are told or they are out of their. Wake Up America !!!!!!! We are in extreme trouble and that calls for action. The government is corrupt.

32. Mark P. says:

Harry Reid wonts to wait for a senater to replace Robert Byrd as he has died and is at peace and the living has to suffer. Wake up people get reed of Harry Byrd.
    A american family should not have to suffeer becouse of this.

33. jack says:

The government knows a new Tier 5 or Tiers 5,6 are needed under this failed economy for ALL Unemployed for at least an additional year to be able to afford to at least eat and find work for the millions. People are still loosing jobs everyday. They think that if they stall on a Bill magic jobs will appear in this continued fail economic times.They are making the DOW look great which Americans really know the truth. Do what is right get a Bill as the president said now months ago that we need additional unemployemnt extention for at least one additional year for ALL Unemployed! Stop the stall tactics democrats and lead on this and republicans stop delays, blocks or else americans are wise we can not afford to continue to stick million dollar career politicians in washington while they continue to down americans and the unemployed!

• Karen Windsor says:

The gov’t (local, state and federal) is already seeing the effects of people not receiving their UI benefits. TAXES AREN’T BEING PAID, which means that they can’t pay the gov’t workers and now they need to layoff gov’t workers, cut general services, etc. The people that aren’t getting their benefits are going down to get food stamps and anything else they can get. ONE WAY OR THE OTHER – THE GOV’T WILL BE PAYING. They can be smart about it or dumb. It looks like right now they are being DUMB. Another item for them to think about – when all of these people that are over their heads in debt can’t pay it – well, the money isn’t going to fly out of the debtors asses. We will more than likely see more bank bailouts, etc. and people losing everything they have accumulated in their lifetimes.

34. DPW says:

Petitions website! Once you sign a petition it’s gets emailed to all addressees!

It works! I’ve gotten auto responses from senators, congress, even NOBAMA!

If we keep SCREAMING someone will have to listen!

Besides….November will be here soon, VOTE INDEPENDENT! Democrats & Republicans are in the same “boat” we NEED NEW BLOOD!

35. DOWN AND OUT! says:

THESE A$$HOLES APPROVE TENS OF BILLIONS EACH MONTH FOR THE WAR! DO THEY EVER THINK HOW ITS GOING TO GET PAID BACK? THEN THEY PASS BILLS ALLOWING TENS OF MILLION OF JOBS TO BE SENT ABROAD! NOW WE HAVE NONE HERE WHILE CHINA AND INDIA PROSPER!

THE MANTRA FOR THIS YEAR IS: BURN POLITICIANS NOT OIL!

NUFF SAID!

36. April says:

We need to come together and change this system. We starve while the game of taking turns being the bad guy so in the end they all come out looking alright. First the republicans vote it down then when 3 of them change their vote the democrats vote it down. Then wait on a replacement for byrd that will be monday oops no friday then maybe we will get to it on monday. blah blah blah stall tactics. NO ONE in washington cares about working joe. They all work for the ultra rich who run this country and it looks as if they have decided to eliminate our rights one by one and do away with the middle class. This article says all we can do is wait and hope they vote next week. We better stop waiting and start acting because this economy, job market situation is NOT going to get better. Please let’s try to get the unemployed together to act.

37. ERIC HEIDEKRUEGER says:

WE NEED T GET OFF OUT BUTTS AND STOP CRYING ABOUT THIS AND ACT NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    we need to organize now and take control of this situation because its not going to get better for us until we stand together !!!!!!!!!! United we stand, divided we fall!!!!!!!!
    we are our brothers keepers and we are suffering and no one is going to help us but us!!!!!!
    we need to picket these pricks, and stand up, and let the whole world hear what we have to say!!! this is our country not the governments, not congress, not the Obama but ours!!!!!!!!
    just like if we were union members, and didn’t like something our employer or what our union was doing to us!! we need to set up a picket lines all across America in major cities and towns fighting for our brothers and our selves,and we cant act like we don’t have the man power because all of you know, we are like 10 million strong!!! this is what we need to do, and now is the time!!!! this is our money we paid into it, just to see it go to wars and,banks and wall-street big shots ,now its like screw the unemployed , screw the American working man!!! well i say that bull s**t !!!!!! and we need to stand up for what is ours ,and what is right and, now is the time,………
    first things first ….
    if we have no control over the government, so we have to go in this order ……
    1>>> call the local unions even if your not members,
    we need to get them involved because
    they have the voice and the know how to get these things together,
    then we start marching through our streets with our picket signs, and shut down traffic if we shave to!!! this will get make congress listen to us “power to the people”
    2>>>>> we need to get a bill together that states if u are an American company u can not !!!! can not !!!!! outsource to any company outside of America……….
    lets bring the USA back to the USA
    !!!!!!!!!!its time for change
    we need leaders if u feel like you are one of these people we need to get the unemployed together post signs up in your neighborhoods call meetings in public places like parks etc….. once u have more them enough people then u rally up the up the troops, and hit the streets with your picket signs and shut down traffic, once that happens a buzz will be created, and the media will be all over it and the government will be afraid and have to pass it !!!!!! IF WOULD LIKE TO BE APRT OF THE MOVEMENT PLEASE EMAIL ME AT [email protected]

38. zoe says:

There is a simple way to not add to the deficit. Take all the american tax dollars designated for other countries and use it to fund unemployment, healthcare, and other things american citizens need. Oh and here is a really radical idea, tell the rich fat cat leaders of other countries that they will have to take care of their own people from now on! AMERICANS COME FIRST!!! To create new jobs, tell all of the manufacturers who have moved their factories overseas that if they do not move them back to america and hire legal americans to work in them, they will not be allowed to sell anything in the united states. If they whine and say that they will have to raise prices on their products, tell them no way! you will not be allowed to raise your prices. You will just have to reduce your damn 500% profit margin!!!!

39. clifford says:

we just need to have a civil war, its the only way its all gonna stop , our founding fathers who started a republic were working class god fearing people but now somehow over yrs it changed to assholes with silver spoons in there mouth only being able to be in charge of us how the hell did that happen, well it needs to change back to how it was cause these mother f’rs dont care about anything but filling there pockets more, they want to fix a debt they put us into real simple half of there salary gets cut to fix the debt easy as that including the piece of shit pres. who does nothing at all. stop fucking each other on the tables and pass this shit already.

• Karen Windsor says:

If our representatives (all of the voted in politicians) were treated the way that we are being treated things would change. Lets cut their pay/benefits, etc. and see how they like it.

40. Jobless says:

I HAVE EXCELLENT WORK HISTORY, HAVE SOMETIMES WORKED 2-3 JOBS TO MAKE ENDS MEET WHILE GOING TO SCHOOL. I HAVE PAID MY UNEMPLOYMENT TAXES. NOW THAT THE REPUBLICANS HAVE SHIPPED ALL OF OUR JOBS OVER SEAS THEY DON’T WANT TO CLEAN UP THE MESS THEY MADE BY LEAVING MILLIONS OF AMERICAN’S UNEMPLOYED?? WE ARE NOT RICH SO WE DON’T DESERVE A LOUSY 300 BUCKS A WEEK TO AT LEAST KEEP THE MAJOR UTILITIES ON AND PUT FOOD ON THE TABLE FOR OUR FAMILIES. I HAVE EVEN TRIED TO GET A JOB AT A FAST FOOD JOINT … NO LUCK THERE EITHER. THESE REPUBLICAN’S NEED TO GET OFF THEIR OLD DEAD ASSES AND HELP US … WE ARE YOUR CITIZEN’S YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO WORK FOR US!!! MAYBE IF WE ALL MOVE OUT OF THE COUNTRY THEY WILL BE MORE THAN WILLING TO HELP US.

41. Anne says:

Phone: 304-558-2000
    Toll free: 1-888-438-2731
    Fax: 304-342-7025

JOE MANCHIN GOVERNOR WV

call or fax him to get in Byrd’s replacement the 60th VOTE

42. BigCat says:

For the record, I am an unemployed American. Just looking at the BIG PICTURE here:

- I believe unemployment benefits should be extended for a maximum of 52 weeks per person, no exceptions. One year, on the government’s nickel (26 weeks on the State, 26 weeks on the Fed), that’s it!

- I also believe the money for continuing UC extensions should come from the existing stimulus package.

At some point this Administration & Congress HAS to become fiscally responsible. UC extension legislation unfortunately is coming on the heels of an unprecidented government spending spree. It has to stop sometime! Some folks will be left out when belts get tightened. Every American has to tote their share of the load, before the load bankrupts us all !!!!

• Change says:

I realize the country is bankrupt, the issue is how we got there. They gave and are still giving many billions of dollars to the banks, auto ind, and war expansion. When it comes to real american issues like unemployment, education, and job creation, its suddenly time to tighten our belts. Its not fair! That money belongs to the Taxpayers not the tax evaders! The lack of urgency for the unemployment problems is very upsetting. Employed or not we all know people who are effected by the sudden halt of unemployment money, and yet they cater to these unpopular intrests that none of the american people want (except those who may benifit from it), its a matter of priority. Even the media is out of touch, they barely brush over unemployment issues. The oil spill is sad, but seeing my neigbors become homeless is more sad.

43. jumprunner says:

The problem here is politics, plain and simple. Everyone and every organization that is backed by Congress has representation, in one form or another. The sole organization in America that isnt represented is that body called the working class. And thats where you see the problem…the working class HAS NO REPRESENTATION!

Who represented us when the Republican agenda was to export jobs by creating tax loopholes for corporate CEOs? Noone, other than the ones that were screwing us out of our jobs by sending them overseas.

Who represents the unemployed when their benefits get cut? Well, who do we see representing us now? Some Democrats to an extent, and that extent involves using the unemployed working class as political pawns to make the Republicans look worse and worse before election campaigns begin. Sure, that is some help, as good as it gets, but if it were any kind of real representation, plans to fund the bill through other sources would have been made in order to get past the Republican quagmire and just get the bill passed so those can recieve their benefits. But that isnt happening, and millions are being left on the streets, selling everything they own so they can eat and pay bills, and time is running out fast.

But nobody really cares. Because noone is representing them.

That is the problem. And what is the solution? Well, REPRESENTATION, ofcourse. Workers unions have been doing it since the 1920s, representation for working class, its nothing new. The only problem with unions is that they only represent union members in trade unions and anyone else is left without any representation whatsoever.

Consider the white collar professional..no union representing them. So you see a lot of jobs, especially in fields like software engineering, being exported, and this is being done quietly without any opposition. You do have opposition from individuals who complain about it, but that’s just it, politicians dont care about individuals because they are not a threat to whether or not they are reelected.

The solution is simple, a simple union organization for the working class, one which anyone can join, and since almost everyone in the US who has a job is considered working class, the union would be open to vitually anyone.

The American Workers Union. An organization for the working class that maintains membership information of all who join and the respective Congressional districts in which they live, an organization which puts out news on what Congressmen are doing that affects working class, enabling those in the districts to vote them out of office when they are caught doing things like exporting jobs. There is the opposition…the working class in America finally being represented.

Im considering starting this up, time given, and asking for support from certain Democrats that I think would have a viable interest in sponsoring this type of organization. Count out any politicians in California (where I live), they are too busy shining their BMWs to give a rats ass about anything else, but there are others like Sen Harry Reid that could take an interest.

44. Ginger says:

Can somebody explain to me how many weeks tier 4 is? I exhausted all of my tier 3 on June 5th. Unemployment office told me that I was good until October, so I took summer classes. Well, at the last minute of my tier 3, they told me”Oh, it looks like you will be receiving another week of tier 2, which made my cut-off date June 5th. Now, if they do pass the extension, I’m not sure how many weeks that is. I’ve been collecting since January 2009. Not understanding what the 99-ers is either? Any help??

• Dave says:

Ginger, It sounds like to me you have exhausted Tier 4, not Tier 3. The breakdown is 26 weeks reg unemployment. Tier 1 is 20 weeks, Tier 2 is 14 more weeks, I believe Tier 3 is 14 more weeks, Tier 4 is 13 weeks, Tier 5 is 6 weeks. If youve been collecting since Jan 09 youve exhausted Tier 4 and or Tier 5. Check with your unemployment office if you are still unable to find work. I do not no who the 99ers are. Have A Nice Day!

45. Mark N says:

From an unemployed…X..republican who just wants a job please vote in November that is our only line of defence . not voting will only help the ones who are stopping this much needed Bill

46. Lisa says:

I won’t make my mortgage payment tomorrow and I did not eat today. I have 3 college degrees but I am 52, female, and single. In the Atlanta area, even all the homeless programs for women are for those with young kids only…so I guess I will just let them have the house and forget it. I’ve been scraping the payments together for months anyhow. I’m going to go live under a bridge in a state that’s warm all year. Thanks GOP! And I hope Senator Byrd-who was ALWAYS for the American people-is happy in heaven with Jesus. Wish you could have stuck around another month and been healthy enough to vote though! Extending the benefits won’t even help me now- will never catch up. And for all the military personnel fighting in other countries-you might want to stay-there are no jobs here-not even for veterans…
    Lisa

47. Dave says:

I do not understand why President Obama has not got this bill paid for! Truly if the American People are supposed to be a priority to the Democratic Party they would have found the money to support this bill and got it done regardless of the hard nosed Republicans.If this is a tactic by the democrats to gain popularity by making the Republicans look bad they are doing it at the sacrifice of the American people. Rather than help the people, they would rather make us suffer to make the Republican Party look bad. This is truly sad! If this was War or Healthcare they would have worked all night to get it passed and they would have found the money. People can say whatever negative they want about the Republicans and some of it is true, but this party is truly not working for us! Obama says his Priority now is jobs, well its about time!!

48. VICKI says:

They bail out all the banks and the big heads went on vacation with our tax money. Now Obama cannot give us our unemployment? The wall street had more right then us …..? The big ahole that went on their private jets on vacation with our money…shame on you washington and you bad as…politicians, we as citizen cannot get our unemployment checks? Comon now something is wrong somewhere…..stop eating lobsters with your family washington politician and sending your little darling to private school and so on. Instead feed you and your family hot dogs and beans and send your little darling to public school where they belong……….we cannot even afford to pay our rent and feed our family, and you want to play with our lives? While your family does not suffer at all. You know where you all gone go dont you?

49. Roshundra says:

Let’s all just vote against the assholes that are turning their backs against us!!!! It’s funny how the people who voted repubs in the past are now switching sides. Great idea!!!!! They never cared about you anyway.

50. Virginia Keagle says:

Hello all, you are all correct, in that we have a bunch of politicias who know “full well” we are in a double digit recession with little to no job-growth which is truly the major hinderance in finding gainful employment. I’m not going into my detail, only to say I lost my job after 9 years by no fault of my own (Reduction in force) and collected benefits for the 1st time in my life for 6 months. Had to move back home with my 79 year old mother and I am 45! Joy. It’s been awful, and long story short, have applied to more than 100 jobs in just 2 months alone. The interiewing process is slow moving – and you are competing with hundreds of applicants for the same job. The deck is largely stacked against finding a new job today and our CONGRESS knows this!

I have a Bachelor of Science in Business Marketing, and a impeccable references. Yes, I am interviewing, but have not received a job offer. I never got to the 1st tier of benefits, cause Congress shot down the bill 4 times starting during Memorial Day so not a dime of gasoline money, cell phone money to keep the thing “on” or anything I have received since May.

The thing I want to ask each and every person to do on this site is PULL up the list of Senators who have voted AGAINST this bill passage – get their names, visit their web-sites and send them messages of what you think! Tell your friends in those respective states to VOTE AGAINST THEM in the elections in November. They have no right to continue having a job, because they could care less about us!

I can say that Jim Bunning of Kentucky has done a terrific job of stalling this bill and not helping it move forward one-inch! Mark his name down, pull up the latest vote and those names who voted Nay, send them messages of hate. let them know they won’t make it come November, and then they too can feel the pain we do each and every day of our lives, struggling to pay bills, struggling to get a job, struggling to just keep a positive mental-attitude about this mess!

Bless all of you. Keep fighting for a job. Never give up! But let these assholes know that ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! We have a double-digit depression/recession here folks.