UFC 118 Results: Frank Edgar vs. BJ Penn Heavyweight Fight Results
UFC 118 Results: Frank Edgar vs. BJ Penn Heavyweight Fight Results – Another mixed martial arts event has just finished on August 28, 2010 at the Ultimate Fighting Championship or UFC. Tagged as the UFC 118 Edgar vs. Penn 2, UFC 118 was the first UFC held in Massachusetts particularly at the TD Garden in Boston.
Two great mixed martial arts fighter Frank Edgar and BJ Penn had a great rematch in the lightweight bout championship in this fight. As you may have probably known, Frank Edgar and BJ Penn already faced each other before at UFC 112 held at Yas Island Abu Dhabi, UAE last April 10, 2010. The fight was close back then and the scores were 50-45, 49-46 and 48-47, all in favor for Frank Edgar.
Frank Edgar and BJ Penn 2 fight lasted until the fifth round where once again, Frank Edgar won via unanimous decision retaining his UFC 118 lightweight champion title with scores of 50-45, 50-45 and 50-45 from the judges.
As I was watching the fight, it was clearly seen that BJ Penn was frustrated after the first five minutes and his situation did not improve. His opponent, Frank Edgar scored with two- and three-punch combinations throughout the fight, delivered strong takedowns in the first and second rounds and dominated the revered Hawaiian in virtually every phase of the sport as reported by Sherdog.
In the course of the fight, Frank Edgar committed a mistake during the 25th minute of the match as he left himself open for a takedown inside the first 15 seconds of round four. However, Edgar was able to return to his feet and he quickly threw several punches at BJ Penn. During the scramble in the fifth round, Penn once again delivered a take down but Frank Edgar was able to out maneuver it to be in the top position.
At the end of Round 5, Frank Edgar once again reigned as the UFC Lightweight Champion defeating BJ Penn. For other fight cards at UFC 118, here are their results:
UFC 118 Preliminary Fight Card Results:
– Welterweight bout: Mike Pierce vs. Amilcar Alves (Pierce defeated Alves via submission (cross-body armbar) at 3:11 of round 3)
– Welterweight bout: Nick Osipczak vs. Greg Soto (Soto defeated Osipczak via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
– Middleweight bout: Dan Miller vs. John Salter (Miller defeated Salter via submission (anaconda choke) at 1:53 of round 2.
UFC 118 Preliminary Fight Card (Spike TV) Results:
– Lightweight bout: Andre Winner vs. Nik Lentz (Lentz defeated Winner via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 30-27)
– Lightweight bout: Joe Lauzon vs. Gabe Ruediger (Lauzon defeated Ruediger via submission (armbar) at 2:01 of round 1
UFC 118 Main Fight Card Results:
* Welterweight bout: Nate Diaz vs. Marcus Davis (Diaz defeated Davis via technical submission (guillotine choke) at 4:02 of round 3)
* Lightweight bout: Kenny Florian vs. Gray Maynard (Maynard defeated Florian via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
* Middleweight bout: Demian Maia vs. Mario Miranda (Maia defeated Miranda via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
* Heavyweight bout: Randy Couture vs. James Toney (Couture defeated Toney via submission (arm-triangle choke) at 3:19 of round 1)Follow us on Twitter to get free up-to-date news via tweets from the World Correspondents, or you can subscribe to us by entering your e-mail below. You can confirm your free subscription by clicking the confirmation link that will be sent to your e-mail address. Once you've confirmed, then you're good to go.