(Manila, Philippines) Every member of Congress in the Philippines is required to submit a Statement of Assets and Liabilities (SAL) to measure their networth. This is one of the measures to avoid corruption which currently eats the budget of the Government.
Based on the recently released figures, among the members of the Congress, no doubt, Sarangani Representative, Manny Pacquiao tops the list with a reported networth of P1.134 billion. In fact, he is the one and only billionaire in the group.
Pacquiao listed real properties worth P397.93 million and personal and other properties worth P736.3 million. His networth is almost double with that of the second placer, Negros Occidental Rep. Alfredo Benitez, who reported P624.82 million.
Meanwhile, coming on third is Ilocos Norte Representative Imelda Marcos with a reported networth of P623.6 million while former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo reportedly had P140.21 million placing 17th.
Below are the top 10 richest members of congress:
1. Sarangani Rep. Manny Pacquiao – P1.134 billion
2. Negros Occidental Rep. Alfredo Benitez – P624.85 million
3. Ilocos Norte Rep. Imelda Marcos – P623.6 million
4. Negros Occidental Rep. Julio Ledesma – P555.07 million
5. Leyte Rep. Ferdinand Martin Romualdez – P475.61 million
6. Deputy Minority Leader Iloilo Rep. Augusto Syjuco – P294.6 million
7. House Speaker Feliciano Belmonte Jr. – P283.29 million
8. Tarlac Rep. Enrique Cojuangco – P199.59 million
9. Ilocos Norte Rep. Rodolfo Farinas – P195.78 million
10. Iloilo Rep. Ferjenel Biron – P165.99 million