International Friendship Day 2010: Friendship Greetings and Messages to Your Friends – Today, August 1, 2010 is the International Friendship Day. As the saying goes, no man is an island, we need friends and companions to survive in this world. As a social being, we need to socialize, communicate, and mingle with our friends.
International Friendship Day dates back in the US in 1935 when the US Congress decided to dedicate a day in the honor of friends. During that time, the First World War has ended and its effects were still in the minds of those affected countries. With its devastating effects still showing and increasing hostilities, there was a greater need for friendship and camaraderie not only among nations but also among individuals.
Since then, the first Sunday of August was celebrated as the National Friendship Day in the US. Following the popularity and success of Friendship Day in US, several other countries adopted the tradition of dedicating a day to friends, thus it became an International Friendship Day.
As we celebrate International Friendship Day today, a lot of people all over the world will be greeting their friends with friendly messages and greetings wishing them good health, more success and ultimately a long lasting relationship as friends. Aside from greetings and messages, a lot of people will also be exchanging gifts and cards on this day.
Friendship bands – bracelets given from one friend to another as a symbol of friendship – are very popular in India, Nepal, Bangladesh and parts of South America. In addition, several social networking sites such as Facebook, Multiply, Twitter, and Blogs allow us to greet our friends online. For those of you who are seeking for friendship greetings and messages for your friends, here are some that we gathered:
” Two may talk together under the same roof for many years, yet never really meet; and two others at first speech are old friends. ” – Mary Catherwood
“Anybody can sympathise with the sufferings of a friend, but it requires a very fine nature to sympathise with a friend’s success. ” – Oscar Wilde
“True friends are like Diamonds… they are real & rare. False friends are like leaves… they are scattered everywhere”
Furthermore, here are some of the cool things you can do to celebrate International Friendship Day with your friends:
– Make your friend a mixed CD of all the songs that define your friendship.
– Submit a Friendship Tribute to your friend to be posted on the web. A video with a friendship song in the background such as “You’ve Got a Friend” together with a slide show of the pictures of your best moments together would be remarkable.
– Call all those old friends you haven’t spoken to in ages.. remember the girl scout motto: “Make new friends and keep the old, one is silver and the other gold”
– Send your friend a Happy Friendship Day greeting online to brighten their day.
– Make a special friendship book for your best friend. Include photos, and telling your friends how special they are.
Happy Friendship Day to everyone! Don’t forget to greet all of your friends today.